Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thing 7: Web 2.0 Communication Tools

In this Thing 7 the web 2.0 communication tools are based on the new technologies of networks by computer or phone devices, and more specifically as a way to use e-mail, IM, text messages and web conferences in the library to provide information and reference services to the patrons.

In my own experience I have been using e-mail since 1998. First, I started with a hotmail account, and then I created a yahoo account. I keep yahoo e-mail because I feel comfortable using it. Recently I opened my Gmail account to be able to create my blog. At the same time that I have my personal e-mail, I have been using e-mail at work. It is a very good tool to communicate work related issues with co-workers. I can say that one advantage when I use e-mail is the reduction of paper.

Another tool that I love to use is the text messaging or Short Messaging Service (SMS) over the phone. I can communicate quickly with other people and get answers right away for a low price. I usually send text messages to my children. Now, I have learned that I can use this tool at the library to provide quick answers to the patrons.

The instant messaging (IM) is also a good web communication tool with people who are connected at the same time. I have used this talk with friends. Also, I use it at work with Microsoft Office Communicator which provides instant messaging with co-workers. I use this tool to talk with the other campus librarians. It is a quick and very informal tool. The use of instant messaging at the library will save time for students who want fast and informal reference service.

No comments: