Friday, April 11, 2008

Thing 17: ELM Productivity Tools

The Electronic Library of Minnesota consists of library databases available online for Minnesota libraries. In this Thing 17 I did my search in Gale Database, but when I tried to set up my RSS to my reader it gave me an error message. I will try this later.

Then I tried with EBSCO database. I created my account. I did all the steps successfully; I created my personal folder in Academic Search Premier, and I sent the contents to my e-mail at work. Also I saved it to my flash drive. Next I tried the Net Library. I found the e-book, and opened its content. I made the note there. This Net Library database allows you to share it, so you can work in collaboration with other colleagues. Finally I went to Pro-Quest Newsstand Complete; I searched in this database for full text in the Washington Post. I marked my selection and from my search tab I created a web page. I e-mailed to myself the html file and I saved the text document to my flash drive too. In the Academic Library of Minnesota School of Business, we use these databases. They are a very helpful Web 2.0 productivity tool for Reference service librarians and as a research resource for students and instructors.

No comments: