Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thing 15: Online Games and Libraries

I agree that libraries should provide games for patrons, because young people and teenagers are around electronic devices, such as Xbox, Super Station, etc. They also play games over the internet with players over the world. The libraries need to attract this new generation that is growing up as technology develop. That’s why a change in the way that libraries provide services is inevitable.
In reference to the online game Puzzle Pirates, it is hard for me to be a game player; I cannot see myself playing games, but I certainly respect that someone else likes them. And I think that it would be a new option for libraries to have an electronic game section with the aim of providing a cool area for the game player lovers.
In relation to the Second Life library, after I read the links and watched some videos. I can say that they are nice and well elaborated. It is an artistic creation of the imagination, and hard work. But I don’t think that I am going to be for it right now; I know that this Second Life world is right there on the Net, and maybe I will try it later.
In summary, the virtual library or online libraries are possible because we are going in that direction. Most libraries have access to online sources of information, databases, books 24/7, e-books, e-journals. In addition, with the use of Web2.0 tools, libraries are producing more updated library services to the demanding online community that is emerging.

No comments: